Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Where To Draw The Line

Everyone has a right to some privacy, but where to draw the line. Much of the media doesn't seem to care. Money talks, right? If I can get a story about what Tiger sent his mother on her birthday, why not publish it if I can get paid. But of course, don't tell the world what I sent my mom, unless of course I can afford diamond earrings.

What about approaching our golf idols in public? If I see Tiger at my favorite restaurant, can't I go over and tell him what an inspiration he's been to me. He makes tens of millions a year, doesn't that allow me special access to him. Doesn't it come with the turf. Just because you're homeless, does that mean that CNN should be able to stick a TV camera in your cardboard box. Just because your Tiger, should the world be entitled to the details of your hemorrhoid surgery. How about if it affected your play on the last day of the Open, causing you to lose by one stroke.

If it affects my golf, the way in which I earn my living in a public way, then perhaps it's fair game. If it has nothing to do with golf, then it's off limits unless I choose to make it public - like deciding to let the Interior Design channel do a tour of my new mansion in Orlando.

Tomorrow we'll take a closer look at where to draw the line.

No comments: