Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Duval Shoots 63 at Sony!

Did anyone pay attention to David Duval at the Sony? He made the cut AND shot a 63 on Sunday. Maybe he's getting his game back. If he does it will be a great story. If I was in the mainstream golf media, I'd start looking at this one real hard.

I read the story of David's early life in Sports Illustrated some years ago and found it fascinating. Afterwards I was much more interested in watching him play. I think it was two years ago at the PGA where he gave a couple of nights of interviews. If you remember, he was trying to make his comeback even then and not being very successful. But he stood there and answered every question over the course of an hour or more. I don't think I've ever seen an athlete open himself/herself up more honestly and in depth than David did then. The story of his rise, fall and attempt at resurrection is the human story we've all faced. Hearing his view of it added a new dimension to his game, maybe like adding an arsenal of new shots.

I hope he comes back this year, the sport needs the drama. David, if you get your game back and find yourself battling VJ or Tiger at the end, do the game a favor and keep talking to us. Breath some life into the game that's given so many so much. We need it more than a 59 even!

No comments: