Wednesday, February 22, 2006

MapMuse, Map This!

From what I understand the number of golfers playing the game in the US is not growing. On the other hand, I'd say there's a new course opened about every day of the year. My conclusion; that a lot of private clubs are looking for new members. I know many clubs in New England have reduced entry fees and/or initiation dues to attract new members. Problem is, they don't have a very good way of advertising their opportunities.

Who wants to admit that you are looking for members. Most clubs are supposed to be prestigious, meaning you should have to work to get in. Advertising cut rates in the paper takes away some of the glamour perhaps or could make people think there might be something wrong. Maybe they just had their greens wrecked by frost kill.

On the other hand, let's say you just moved into a new area and you're an avid golfer with some ready cash. Wouldn't you like to be able to see all the local private courses compared in a spreadsheet. Show me initiation, annual fees, mandatory spending levels, course length and rating, average age of members and distance from home. It sure would help the decision making process.

Now imagine an interactive map that uses your zip code as the center location and shows you markers for every course within your selected radius. Add in membership fees, course details, hole by hole descriptions, clubhouse amenities, and name of the local pro and you've got an application I'd sure like to use. A company called MapMuse has the beginnings of just such a product. Check them out at http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/interest.php?brandID=GOLF_ALL&authCod=oran. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very well done. mapmuse.com is huge. Good find John

-Rich

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I'm looking into something very similar to EG's approach. Google Maps are the way to go if you ask me. Seems like an easy tool to use and the ads are a simple, nice touch. I'm wanting to integrate that idea though with a way to display my own metadata about the courses as well. We'll see. Good Find.

John said...

Nothingman, did you take a look at the Map Muse site. They have a project underway to get golfers, like you and me, to add the metadata. I'd be interested on your take on that.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Now that I have looked, I am a little more impressed. Looks like they do show a lot more than google. The maps look primative, and that kind of deterred me at first, but it does look pretty extensive. I'm gonna have to do a little more digging. Thanks again!