Friday, November 11, 2005

Getting Up and Down by Tom Watson

Of all the golf books I own, Getting Up and Down, by Tom Watson, has the most wear and tear, the most coffee stains and (dare I say) the most used. Why this is so is something I have, honestly, never given much thought but I believe it has to do with it's simplicity and directness. The short game, as we all know, can be one of the squirreliest parts of the game due to the myriad of lies and obstacles (sand, water, deep rough, short rough) one has to consider and negotiate. What I think makes, Getting Up and Down so unique is it's simple focus on these challenges. Like to get out of thick rough around the green Watson recommends picking the club straight up and straight down (obviously lessening the grass/clubface contact) - but when I first read this tip many moons ago it didn't really shock me or surprise me (I mean it is JUST a tip) but when out on the course trying the technique it felt completely odd, counter-intuitive and scary. The first time I attempted it (in competition no less)the ball came out high and fluffy and dropped like a feather inches from the pin ;-) The short game demands all sorts of precise club positions, angles, swings that it is truly a science. In my humble opinion it is a must have golf book for your collection and will hopefully bring you years of short game satisfaction. And if budget is a concern, head over to Amazon where used copies start at 95 cents!

No comments: