Saturday, June 21, 2008

The "Other" Toski (and a FREE golf lesson)

Tom Toski is the brother of famed golf instructor Bobby Toski who has worked with countless pros throughout the years.

I mention this because I just had a lesson with the "other" Toski (Tommy)

He is an amazing individual. 80+ years young and looking fit as a fiddle. He gives lessons at a local golf facility here in Western Massachusetts (Hadley)

When I first called he was booked solid for 2 weeks which I thought was quite amazing. Although I previously attended a group seminar with him about a year ago or so. What i saw there was simply amazing. Here he is at 80 something and roping these unbelievable drives - I mean mouth-watering drives - long, straight and true. THEN he turned the driver around and was popping drives with the BACK of the driver - crazy stuff ;-)

I thought then and there I need to tap into this guys knowledge bank.

What he told me on the range the other day is not the "secret" or anything I have not heard or read about somewhere but a solid fundamental that we all need to be reminded of.

He mentioned how important it is to be "level" in your backswing - that is, your shoulder not dipping but maintaining a relatively even turn (think baseball swing) AND also to keep as STILL as possible. Kept telling me to keep "quiet" during the swing. Of course a big part of this is a quiet (and still) head. (we've heard that before, right?)

Additionally, the Toski's are big proponents of small muscles and not large ones. This goes against a lot of the Leadbetter style teaching of using the bigger muscles as a focus.

Said that is one of the biggest misconceptions in golf.

Talked a lot about holding the club like a feather and using arm speed.

I enjoyed the lesson tremendously and loved talking "shop" with a member of one of the legendary golf teaching families in the game.

And, if you're ever up in this neck of the woods - do yourself a favor and book a lesson with Mr. Toski.

You'll get lesson and a whole lot more.

1 comment:

The Armchair Golfer said...

If Tommy is anything like his brother Bob, I'm sure he's a great guy. I had the good fortune to meet Bob Toski in April, a truly gracious man who still plays an exceptional game of golf at 80 years plus.