Monday, August 08, 2005

Amateur Golfers Don't Improve

OK, maybe stink is a little harsh. But, fact of the matter is that the average amateur golfer has only improved his game by one half a stroke in the last 30 years. Let me say that another way, the average amateur score as gone from 100 to 99.5 in the last 30 years. Why is this a thought provoking statistic. you ask? Because every aspect of golfing tools has improved over that time period - balls, clubs, club heads, shafts, grips, training tools and teachers to name a few. Even tees are claimed to have been improved giving you more yards on your drive.

So why aren't amateurs scores plunging like an elevator in freefall? Ah, that's the question we should explore. But be prepared to look in the mirror to find the answers. I'll use my own sorry golfing ability, as my unselfish gesture to help the average golfer understand why they're getting nowhere as well.

I know balls go further, and that graphite shaft in my driver has added yards. My putter is perfectly balanced and my perimeter weighted clubs make hits on the toe and heel a lot less bad than they used to be. So why aren't my scores better? Because golf is harder than it looks and we all suffer from bad swings. And no technology that's been invented yet can really correct our bad swings.

Let me go out on a limb and say why I think our swings suck. We can't make our clubs go on an inside out path through the hitting zone. How many golfing buddies do you have that don't have a slice or a week fade? Counted them all up on one hand didn't you? The only ones that escaped that list are those with such bizarre swings that no self respecting golfer even wants to be seen in the same foursome. Maybe the body isn't supposed to operate that way, but it is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do.

And yet, we see a wide range of professional golfers of all body types and athletic ability knock the snot out of the ball and look effortless. And they don't even all swing in the same way. How can this be? Stay tuned, we'll try to answer this and other sacred questions of the universe during the rest of this week.

No comments: