Sunday, July 13, 2008

Training Tempo With Eyeline Golf's Metronome Pro

Regardless of what you know about golf technique, most golfers can see the difference between good and bad swings. Even non-golfers can see that a good swing is smooth and a bad swing isn't. Whether a pro has a fast rhythm like Nick Price or a slow one like Ernie Els, their swings are usually smooth. It appears that all their muscles are working together instead of fighting each other. The transition from address to back swing and from top of the back swing to downswing appear seamless. Bad swings appear herky jerky, strained and out of sync.

In the final analysis smooth equates to good tempo. Every golfer has had the experience, probably more times than they would like to remember, of hitting practice balls great but not being able to duplicate it on the course. What happens? We get nervous, tense up, over swing, try to hit the ball too far and worry about hazards. Any and all of these things can change tempo. Without it, your swing is hopeless.

Most amateur golfers don't work specifically on tempo, while pros spend a lot of time on it. They know that the key to bringing the range game to the course is managing tempo. In defference to amateurs, there aren't really convenient tools out there to help with tempo. That might be about to change thanks to a new product just introduced to the market.

Eyeline Golf, famous for their numerous putting aids has introduced the Golf Metronome Pro, a portable metronome no bigger than a half pack of chewing gum. It clips onto a shirt or hat. The golfer can adjust the 'beats per minute' to correspond to their personal rhythm and then selects a tempo that counts anywhere from 1 to 8 beats. The company has been kind enough to send me a product so I can test it. I'm a big believer in tempo, but admit that I haven't done anything more scientific than tell myself to slow down when I'm out on the course. Will finding my right tempo and then training myself to it help my game. Will the product help me maintain tempo when I'm under pressure? This is what I'll attempt to find out over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned as I report back. My hopes are high, but I realize that most training aids just don't live up to the hype.

No comments: