Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Difference Between Pros and Amateurs

Our bank accounts and the size of our homes, right? And let's not forget the 100 foot yacht versus my plastic tubby toy. There are lots of differences to be sure, but I'm talking golf, particularly practice routines. If I go to the range and hit six 7-iron shots, making decent contact on each, then I'm done with that club. Which, upon reflection seems to be a stupid thing to do. If for once during the month I'm actually making good contact you'd think I'd want to keep at to lock it in. 'Good practice makes the right moves permanent' seems to be the logical way to look at things.

Why then do I want to get the club out of my hands as quickly as possible. Probably because I know it's only the matter of a few more swings and it's all going to go south. Why ruin the feeling that I've actually 'got it', when I know reality is going to show it's ugly head soon enough. So does that explain why most amateurs quickly find a golfing rut and stay in it for most of our careers?

I'd like to know if anyone out there has had the same experience or maybe the opposite one. Please tell me that you started hitting the ball well and stuck with it for 200 shots and as a result you dropped 10 strokes off your handicap. Until someone can prove that to me, I think I'll just keep putting that club back in the bag and savor a moment of triumph that golf rarely gives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Harvey Penick sometimes advised his students to only hit a seven iron on the range. Stating that if you could hit a seven iron well, you could hit any club.

I often go to the range (or to the net in my backyard) with one club, I hit it until I have ingrained the thing I was working on.

doug said...

Good idea Jim. That is a good way to Focus your energies. I might try that again.

It is so seductive just to hit a golf ball and watch it fly through the air that you forget what you were supposed to be working on.