Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Driving Ranges Don't Cut It

Let's face it, most public driving ranges aren't much good. That's not to say that I don't use them and that I am not appreciative that they are there at all. Given the choices they are a blessing. But in the grand scheme of things, how nice would it be to have a range nearby with grass tees, lots of greens for targets at different yardages, bunkers and even places where you could work on hitting lies that aren't flat.

Unless you play at a private club, why is it that most ranges are thin little mats on concrete pads with a couple of flags stuck here and there. Is there no money in owning a range? There are even some private clubs with questionable ranges. And sometimes they don't let you hit off the grass if they do have it. They save it for weekends and tournaments. How does hitting a ball off concrete prepare you for hitting it off grass? I'm not sure it's ever helped me very much.

A good practice facility needs some acreage. It also needs decent grass to hit from. Now maintaining sod isn't easy, but is it so expensive that it's prohibitive in all but the high end clubs. Of course 'nice' greens out on the range are going to cost you extra, but they don't have to be real greens. Just push a little earth around to make a raised target. I have seen some very nice public practice facilities, but they are few and far between. I haven't tracked them over the years to see if they've stayed in business, but I'd like to think they have.

Here's my idea, build a nice enough practice facility that you could sell memberships to it, just like a club. Of course you'd let people walk in and use the facility, but they'd pay more for single visits. Maybe they'd only get to use part of the facility or maybe make them hit off mats. I'd join a facility if there was one like that around and it was reasonable. If I add up all the buckets of balls I've bought during a season, I know I'm spending more than $200, maybe considerably more.

I don't believe I get a lot better when I just play a round. You need to hit the same type of shot over and over to get it grooved. That only happens on the range. And you need to practice lots of different types of shots - uphill, downhill, above and below your feet. Let's face it, you need to practice every type of shot you're going to encounter on the course and that includes hitting from the rough.

How about the short game, where most of us take most or our stokes. How can you consistently hit good approaches from 20, 30 and 50 yards if you can't practice lots of shots like these under course like conditions. How many weekend warriors are really good at getting up and down from 30 yards? Now you don't have to be in great shape or even very flexible to be good from that range, you just need lots of practice.

If anybody out there owns a range, please let me know how it goes. I'm really curious. I'd also like to hear from anybody who owns or uses a nice public facility. Are there any out there? And has anyone heard of memberships to upscale practice facilities?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave, Where are your facilities? Which state? They sound wonderful. I guarantee that if that existed in my state I'd surely join,and so would John by the sound of things. Don't you just love these blogs? Thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

I may get in trouble for divulging a secret here but we have one of the best PUBLIC practice facilities I have ever had the pleasure of frequenting (and no I dont work there or own it, but man do I wish I did!). 50 covered mats (replaced yearly) with fans and heaters, 100's of grass teeinig areas, 3 practice greens (one bent, one bermuda), 2 practie bunkers (1 long fairway style and 1 greenside), all lit after dark until 9. Automatic ball dispensers (balls replaced yearly) with their own debit/credit card system. for "range plans" (no need to talk to the attendant to get your ammo). Lesson areas and lessons available ($$$). Full Pro-line equipment shop ($$$$$). Grill with draft beer (!). Balls are $9.00 for 100.

Madison Golf Center / the Professionals Golf Shop Madison ,AL
(right next to Huntsville, AL)

I love this place. I'm up there all the time. I dont even want to know how much $ I have spent up there in the past 5 years but I'm not going to stop going.
I hope no one gets ill with me posting all this juicy info on this site.

Fairways & Greens!

Huntsville, AL

Anonymous said...

Easily the best practice facility in the Chicagoland region (which is a big golfing region) is in Bolingbrook, IL, at the Bolingbrook golf club. They have a huge amount of grass to hit off (probably 60 yards from the front of the grass to the back of the grass) and room for 65 hitting stations. The rates are the same as the other area driving ranges, but the grass is above and beyond any driving range I've seen. The memberships to this driving range are pretty expensive, however, more expensive than other driving range memberships. Lighted, and a good place to come at night.

Anonymous said...

holden caulfield catcher in the rye