Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Good Teacher For My Horse

If I had a horse, I'd trade him for a good teacher. But only if the price of gas goes below $3.00 again. So we've decided that there are at least a few good teachers out there. I'll posit that most are where the serious money is - teaching the pros and opening up golf schools. That way they can stay away from us, the pitiful golfing public. I mean, they tell you to do one simple thing, give you two weeks to practice and you still can't do it when you return. That's got to wear you down. You tell a pro to practice something, most of them are going to do it at least 6 days a week since it puts the food on the table.

And why won't we practice? Because you have to practice a lot to get a little bit better. And then, your likely to lose it anyway if you take just a week off. Or maybe you'll lose it anyway, even if you don't take time off. Two weeks ago I played a good round of golf for me. Then I took a week off and went to the range this Monday. I felt like I'd never swung a club before. I swear some joker changed all my clubs for brooms.

Look at Tiger Supremo at the Deutsche Bank tournament last weekend. After Friday, he was deigned to be all the way back, his game at a higher level than everyone else. Then he woke up Saturday and it was gone. Tiger probably knows his game better than any other golfer in the world knows theirs and he probably hits more balls, except for maybe VJ. So how can he wake up Saturday and have lost 'it'. And how come he couldn't make a simple change and be back on track for Sunday and Monday. And if he can't do this, then what the heck am I beating my head against the wall for. How can I, average Joe or Joyce, expect to ever improve?

Tomorrow it's back to teachers, tools, practice and a new vision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you commit yourself (excluding all other activities), I believe one's game will fluctuate between brilliant and awful. Period.